A little more than a decade ago, one could argue that the kings of basketball could be found on courts of the streets, not the courts of the NBA. Streetball exploded on the national level, fueled by the AND1 Mixtape Tour and talent that could rival that of the professional league. Players became household names and the entertainment never failed to disappoint. Let’s talk to someone who knows a thing or two about succeeding in streetball and becoming one of the most famous to do so in the world.
Before we get into Episode 93, as a reminder, The Bridge is broadcast as a one-hour radio show every Wednesday night at 7 ET / 4 PT on Sports Radio America. A rerun is then aired the following hour as well. Once the dust settles from that live broadcast, the show is released as a podcast on iTunes and on this website the following day on Thursday. You can listen to the show every Wednesday on Sports Radio America here or through the TuneIn app, and find some bonus content, including a weekly gambling segment, when the show comes out in podcast form.
- “Sports News Read Like Real News” told the tale of the Aqib Talib and Michael Crabtree Chain-gate, Volume 2.0 (2:56).
- The Bridge Question of the Week is: What is your biggest storyline in the National Football League and why? Leave a voicemail or text in your answer to 929-BRIDGE7, that’s 929-274-3437, and you’ll make it on the next show.
- The return of the special holiday segment, “Thanksgiving Leftovers,” listed some of the top Thanksgiving foods, drinks and miscellaneous happenings of the holiday, and what “leftover” athletes and coaches are most comparable to them (7:57).
- This week’s guest is Grayson Boucher, aka “The Professor” from the AND1 Mixtape Tour who is still a streetball extraordinaire and global entertainer. Grayson went from a small town kid on the West Coast to a street ball superstar almost overnight, taking off while the AND1 Mixtape Tour was in its prime and won Season 2 for a spot on the tour. We’ll talk about how he ended up on the tour and playing during those days, taking the path of street ball over the NBA, what he’s up to now and much more.
- Follow Brandon on Twitter -> @Professor12. The interview starts at the 23:39 mark.
– In the interview, we discuss:
How he got on the AND1 Mixtape Tour (24:09), how long it took to develop confidence to play with other streetballers (26:53), what the height of his career has been (30:03), deciding to stick with street ball and how he’s sustained success in it (32:05), who would play on his BIG3 squad (35:28) if he really beat Woody Harrelson in 1-on-1 (37:13) and where the AND1 squad would finish in the East (38:35).
- “The Toll Bridge with Donnie RightSide.” Donnie is a professional handicapper who knows a thing or two about the lines of the sports world and joins The Bridge for a weekly segment to help us get on the right side of those lines, based on his years of numbers, strategy and overall knowledge of the market. This week, Donnie offers up some of his best bets to correspond with The Bridge Fade of the Week, where listeners are urged to completely go in the opposite direction of the show. You can find Donnie at DonnieRightSide.com and SportsBookReview.com and follow him on Twitter @RightSideVP. And remember, this segment is for entertainment purposes only (41:10).
- “Five Minutes in the Film Room” with Joe Baress, former star of the prestigious John and Joe Sports Show, breaks down “Justice League,” which Rotten Tomatoes describes as: Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to find and recruit a team of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat. But despite the formation of this unprecedented league of heroes–Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash–it may already be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions (47:24). You can follow Joe on Twitter @dukemich and read his movie reviews, previews and ratings at cupof-joe.com.
Call in or text the show 24/7 at 929-BRIDGE7, that’s (929) 274-3437. Contact the show with your questions, comments, stories or hot takes and you might be featured in the next installment of The Bridge.
Subscribe to The Bridge Sports Podcast on iTunes (please leave a positive rating and review if you enjoy the show as well) so you’ll immediately be notified when new episodes are posted. You can also find The Bridge Sports Podcast on Google Play, Soundcloud, Stitcher and live on TuneIn.
Visit www.lundinbridge.com/email to subscribe to The Bridge Sports Podcast newsletter, which will provide weekly updates and behind-the-scenes information about the next show and who the featured guest(s) might be.
Show music: ‘Actionable’ and ‘Epic,’ courtesy of www.bensound.com.