The final College Football Playoff rankings were released, leaving some teams relieved, and others soured.
Before we get into that and the rest of Episode 48, as a reminder, The Bridge is now broadcast as a one hour radio show every Wednesday night on Sports Radio America, starting at 7 ET. Once the dust settles from that live broadcast, the show is released as a podcast on iTunes and this website on Friday night. You can listen to the live show every Wednesday on Sports Radio America here or through the TuneIn app.
- Sports News Read Like Real News focused on #Tiegate and Cam Newton’s one-play suspension for reportedly not wearing a tie to show up to the game (2:19).
- This week’s guest is Anthony Herron, a former NFL and AFL player turned college football analyst for the Pac-12 Network who also dabbles with NBC, ESPN and CBS as well. Big Ant was a named a team captain as a senior at Iowa before a couple of seasons in the NFL and AFL. He eventually made the transition into broadcasting and has been developing his craft ever since. Anthony has a strong pulse on not only the Pac 12, but all other facets of college football and gave some fantastic insight on all things College Football Playoffs.
- You can follow him on Twitter @BigAntHerron. The interview starts right after the 10 minute mark.
- In the interview, we discuss:
- How he ended up with the nickname “Grandpa” while playing with the Iowa Hawkeyes in college (10:54), how hard it is to make it in the NFL (12:24), what made him want to start pursuing broadcasting (14:58), how much his time as a player/coach has helped him in broadcasting (17:21), if he was a fan of moving from the BCS to the College Football Playoff (20:35), what are the biggest things teams need to do for the best chance of making the CFBP (22:38), how scheduling a “challenging” non-conference game is harder than you’d think (25:10), if the four “best” teams made the CFBP (27:46), the reason for Penn State getting left out (29:53), if Michigan had complaint to be left out (32:03), how exciting that Iowa game-winning field goal was (34:29), what stands out about Washington and what the Huskies need to do for the best shot to beat Alabama (36:08), who he likes in the Ohio State v. Clemson game (41:24), who’s winning the College Football National Championship (43:40), what to expect in the Rose Bowl with Penn State against USC (45:08), if his alma mater can beat Florida in the Outback Bowl and if we should HAMMER the under in that game (46:16), if Heisman Trophy candidates Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson will make it in the National Football League (48:00) and broadcasting the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in early January (51:02).
Call in or text the show 24/7 at 929-BRIDGE7, that’s (929) 274-3437. Contact the show with your questions, comments, stories or hot takes and you might be featured in the next installment of The Bridge.
Subscribe to The Bridge Sports Podcast on iTunes (please leave a positive rating and review if you enjoy the show) so you’ll immediately be notified when new episodes are posted each week. You can also find The Bridge Sports Podcast on Google Play, Soundcloud, Stitcher and TuneIn.
Visit www.lundinbridge.com/email to subscribe to The Bridge Sports Podcast newsletter, which will provide weekly updates and behind-the-scenes information about the next show and who the featured guest(s) might be.
Show music: ‘Actionable’ and ‘Epic,’ courtesy of www.bensound.com.