Tragedy struck the baseball world last Sunday, as Jose Fernandez, the phenom all-star pitcher for the Miami Marlins, was killed in a boating accident. He was just 24 years old. We were fortunate to find a guest that could speak of Fernandez as a player and what he meant to the game of baseball.
Before we get into Episode 40, as a reminder, The Bridge is now a one hour radio show every Wednesday night on Sports Radio America, starting at 7 ET. Once the dust settles from that live broadcast, the show is released as a podcast on iTunes and this website on Friday night. You can listen to the live show every Wednesday on Sports Radio America here or through the TuneIn app.
- Sports News Read Like Real News gave tribute to Vin Scully, who will retire at the end of the regular season after 67 years as the voice of the Dodgers (3:34).
- “Wait, Who?!” tells us the story of the New England Patriots third-string quarterback, Jacoby Brissett, not to be confused with the brisket you might find at a barbecue (7:36).
- This week’s guest is Paul Francis Sullivan, but you can call him Sully. He is the host of Sully Baseball Daily, a daily baseball podcast that you can hear 365 days a year unless it’s a leap year, then it’s 366. He certainly knows a thing or two about baseball to say the least, and it was a pleasure to hear about doing a daily baseball show before getting his takes on Jose Fernandez, Vin Scully (he did a show on both topics, which you can listen to here) and October baseball.
- You can follow Sully on Twitter @sullybaseball. The interview starts at the 14:30 mark.
- In the interview, we discuss:
- What he does for a living aside from a daily podcast (15:15).how the production is done for the show. (19:39), how he’s able to do a show once the baseball season is over (22:48), his favorite shows and/or interviews (25:06), the future of the show and his dream interview guest (28:05), his emotions upon hearing of the death of Jose Fernandez (29:56), what Fernandez was like as a pitcher (33:26), what Fernandez meant to the game of baseball (37:16), the awesomeness of Dee Gordon’s home run in the Marlins next game (40:58), what Vin Scully meant to baseball and to broadcasting (44:05), who he thinks could make the World Series (49:48) and how you can find and interact with his baseball podcast (51:42).
Call in or text the show any time and any day at 929-BRIDGE7, that’s (929) 274-3437. Contact the show with your questions, comments, stories or hot takes and you might be featured in the next installment of The Bridge.
Subscribe to The Bridge Sports Podcast on iTunes (please leave a positive rating and review if you enjoy the show) so you’ll immediately be notified when new episodes are posted each week. You can also find The Bridge Sports Podcast on Google Play, Soundcloud, Stitcher and TuneIn.
Visit www.lundinbridge.com/email to subscribe to The Bridge Sports Podcast newsletter, which will provide weekly updates and behind-the-scenes information about the next show and who the featured guest(s) might be.
Show music: ‘Actionable’ and ‘Epic,’ courtesy of www.bensound.com.