Week 2 of the National Football League season provided another batch of major storylines, though some of the main ones weren’t because of positive things. Some teams impressed, others disappointed, let’s take a closer look at what we saw.
Before we get into Episode 84, as a reminder, The Bridge is broadcast as a one-hour radio show every Wednesday night at 7 ET and again at 8 ET on Sports Radio America. Once the dust settles from that live broadcast, the show is released as a podcast on iTunes and on this website the following day on Thursday. You can listen to the show every Wednesday on Sports Radio America here or through the TuneIn app, and find some bonus content, including a weekly gambling segment, when the show comes out in podcast form.
- “Sports News Read Like Real News” told the tale of Kevin Durant getting a little bit too social with his media accounts (3:06).
- The Bridge Question of the Week is: What was your main takeaway from Week 2 of the NFL season? Leave a voicemail or text in your answer to 929-BRIDGE7, that’s 929-274-3437, and you’ll make it on the next show.
- “Wait, Who?!” introduced us to the rookie wide receiving from the Pittsburgh Steelers nicknamed after a popular movie theatre candy (11:38).
- This week’s guest was Frank Schwab, an NFL writer and editor for Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports and friend of the show. Frank joined us last year to chat about his writing career and to breakdown the NFL storylines of the time, and you can check that out in Episode 45 of The Bridge. Now, he’s back to help breakdown all the big storylines from Week 2 of the NFL season, including the Giants, Cowboys, AFC West, Seahawks, Steelers and more. We’ll also hit on some of the things to look out for moving forward this season.
- You can follow Frank on Twitter @YahooSchwab. The interview starts at the 16:38 mark.
– In the interview, we discuss:
If there’s any cause for concern with NFL ratings (17:05), the major problems with the New York Giants (20:34), if Ben McAdoo will remain their head coach (22:42), if the Week 2 problems from the Dallas Cowboys could be a problem in the future (25:54), most impressive aspect of the Denver Broncos so far (29:10), if football will ever be accepted in Los Angeles (31:18), if Andrew Luck should play again this season and what team should suck for the next QB (35:39), do the Panthers and/or Seahawks reach a .500 record this season (37:07), if the Raiders and Chiefs are for real (38:10), if two teams make the playoffs from the AFC West (39:37), why the Steelers were No. 1 in the Power Rankings (40:41) and what team or player he’ll be watching most closely the next couple of weeks (42:47)
- NEW SEGMENT, “The Toll Bridge with Donnie RightSide.” Donnie is a professional handicapper who knows a thing or two about the lines of the sports world and joins The Bridge for a weekly segment to help us get on the right side of those lines, based on his years of numbers, strategy and overall knowledge of the market. Each week, Donnie will offer up some of his best bets to correspond with The Bridge Fade of the Week, where listeners are urged to completely go in the opposite direction of the show. You can find Donnie at DonnieRightSide.com and SportsBookReview.com and follow him on Twitter @RightSideVP. And remember, this segment is for entertainment purposes only (45:30).
- “Good Try, Good Effort” recognized James Franklin for icing a kicker while winning by 56 points and baseball home run records (50:15).
Call in or text the show 24/7 at 929-BRIDGE7, that’s (929) 274-3437. Contact the show with your questions, comments, stories or hot takes and you might be featured in the next installment of The Bridge.
Subscribe to The Bridge Sports Podcast on iTunes (please leave a positive rating and review if you enjoy the show as well) so you’ll immediately be notified when new episodes are posted on Thursdays. You can also find The Bridge Sports Podcast on Google Play, Soundcloud, Stitcher and TuneIn.
Visit www.lundinbridge.com/email to subscribe to The Bridge Sports Podcast newsletter, which will provide weekly updates and behind-the-scenes information about the next show and who the featured guest(s) might be.
Show music: ‘Actionable’ and ‘Epic,’ courtesy of www.bensound.com.