The NBA Finals has finally arrived, featuring the two teams we knew would eventually arrive there. Since we’ve been basically previewing what we’ll see in the Finals since the playoffs started, we decided to go in a new direction this week, and talked hockey and the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time in the history of the show. Sure, the subject might have only come in only one or two questions, but baby steps, people. If you really need an NBA fix, check out episodes 68 and 66.
Before we get into Episode 69, as a reminder, The Bridge is now broadcast as a one-hour radio show every Wednesday night at 7 ET on Sports Radio America. Once the dust settles from that live broadcast, the show is released as a podcast on iTunes and on this website on Friday nights. You can listen to the live show every Wednesday on Sports Radio America here or through the TuneIn app.
- “Sports News Read Like Real News” told the tale of NHL fans tossing objects onto the ice. Some are more obvious, like hats for a hat trick, while others are more appealing, like dead creatures of the sea (2:20).
- The Bridge Question of the Week is: Who will win the NBA Finals and why? Call in or text in your answer to 929-BRIDGE7, that’s 929-274-3437, and you’ll make it on the next show.
- This week’s guest was FOX Sports senior writer Pete Blackburn, who dabbles in the NHL and other topical sports happenings on a daily basis. Pete is a great follow on Twitter, both for his hockey knowledge and knack for viral humor, and also provides great content through his podcasts each week. We chatted about how he got into sports writing and some of the different paths to his career, what you’ll find in his podcasts, some topics from the Brunch podcast and why non-hockey fans should care about this Stanley Cup.
- You can follow Pete on Twitter @PeteBlackburn. The interview starts at the 12:00 mark.
– In the interview, we discuss:
The inspiration for creating his own blog, The Nosebleeds (12:30), how he went from blogging to landing at FOX Sports(14:36), how Katie Nolan almost inadvertently got him fired and pissing off Peter King (15:39), how he was able to find his voice online (17:56), what his role is at FOX Sports (19:11), what some of his favorite writing pieces have been (20:34), how he got involved with the Section 10 podcast and what it covers (22:22),how the Brunch podcast came to be and what it covers (25:05), thoughts on Matt Saracen and Julie Taylor (27:18), Tim Riggins’ alcoholism and the ages of the Friday Night Lights characters (29:11), what pisses him off the most in Friends 31:24), his favorite guests on Brunch (35:13), what they’ll do if they ever get Sinbad on the show and him being misremembered (37:31), the nickname GIF Boy and his best works (39:28), dating Taylor Swift’s music (42:59), how he deals with internet trolls (45:11), why Gordon Bombay is a dick (48:37), Adam Banks over Charlie Conway (51:07), what he would throw on the ice at a hockey game (51:33), everything we need to know about the Stanley Cup Finals (52:56), getting retweeted by Carrie Underwood (56:52), Cavs or Warriors (58:49) and how painfully long the NBA playoffs are (59:46).
Call in or text in to the show 24/7 at 929-BRIDGE7, that’s (929) 274-3437. Contact the show with your questions, comments, stories or hot takes and you might be featured in the next installment of The Bridge.
Subscribe to The Bridge Sports Podcast on iTunes (please leave a positive rating and review if you enjoy the show) so you’ll immediately be notified when new episodes are posted each week. You can also find The Bridge Sports Podcast on Google Play, Soundcloud, Stitcher and TuneIn.
Visit www.lundinbridge.com/email to subscribe to The Bridge Sports Podcast newsletter, which will provide weekly updates and behind-the-scenes information about the next show and who the featured guest(s) might be.
Show music: ‘Actionable’ and ‘Epic,’ courtesy of www.bensound.com.