Many sports fans might think that sports talk radio is easy. After all, it can’t be that much different than having a conversation with your buddies at the bar, right? How hard can it be? Well, it’s a lot harder than it looks (or sounds), especially when it’s done well, and harder yet to even break into the industry. However, once you get in, it’s the dream.
Before we get into Episode 57, as a reminder, The Bridge is now broadcast as a one-hour radio show every Wednesday night at 7 ET on Sports Radio America. Once the dust settles from that live broadcast, the show is released as a podcast on iTunes and this website on Fridays. You can listen to the live show every Wednesday on Sports Radio America here or through the TuneIn app.
- “Sports News Read Like Real News” told the tale of the feud Shaqtin’ a Fool caused between JaVale McGee and Shaq (2:17).
- The Bridge Question of the Week is: Who is most deserving of this year’s Shaqtin’ a Fool MVP? Call in or text in your answer to 929-BRIDGE7, that’s 929-274-3437, and you’ll make it on the next show. (8:59)
- This week’s guest was Patrick Meagher, host of The Rap on SiriusXM Mad Dog Sports Radio, Monday through Friday from 9 p.m. to midnight ET. Patrick gave an incredible interview for his podcast debut and was so generous with his time that we broke up our chat into two parts. Part 1 is below, with Part 2 to follow in Episode 58. When that show is released, we’ll combine both parts into one final product, so you’ll be able to hear the full interview all in one spot. In Part 1, we’ll get into how Patrick got into radio, his first show for COSMO and turning down reality TV. In Part 2, we’ll discuss how he ended up in Los Angeles with Mad Dog Sports Radio, some of the things he does on The Rap and take some submitted questions.
- Before we get into the interview, Patrick was kind enough to have me on The Rap to promote The Bridge and chat about the show. It was also my first interview on radio, so many thanks to Patrick. You can hear that segment at the 12:35 mark.
- You can follow The Rap on Twitter @TheWrapRadio. The interview starts at the 30:53 mark.
– In the interview, we discuss:
How to say his last name correctly and dropping the “W” from The Rap (31:19), who the most famous person on his phone is (34:08), getting started in sports radio (35:06), odd-end jobs that went along with radio (36:41), the lowest point while trying to break into radio (38:16), getting a job at Sirius (39:46) and Cocktails with Patrick (41:11), the wildest story from Cs with P (43:20), how the show came to an end (45:28), Cocktails with Patrick 2.0 (46:52), having no idea who Topanga was (48:56), not seeing Paul Soter’s most famous movie (which has since changed!) (51:23), not Googling himself and the crazy lifestyle of dating a reality TV star (52:20), why he turned down reality TV (55:27), the effect his relationship with Stassi will have for the future (57:26) and a little tease for Part 2 (59:37).
- “Good Try, Good Effort” recognized the biggest flub in Oscars history (1:01:05).
Call in or text the show 24/7 at 929-BRIDGE7, that’s (929) 274-3437. Contact the show with your questions, comments, stories or hot takes and you might be featured in the next installment of The Bridge.
Subscribe to The Bridge Sports Podcast on iTunes (please leave a positive rating and review if you enjoy the show) so you’ll immediately be notified when new episodes are posted each week. You can also find The Bridge Sports Podcast on Google Play, Soundcloud, Stitcher and TuneIn.
Visit www.lundinbridge.com/email to subscribe to The Bridge Sports Podcast newsletter, which will provide weekly updates and behind-the-scenes information about the next show and who the featured guest(s) might be.
Show music: ‘Actionable’ and ‘Epic,’ courtesy of www.bensound.com.