“Let me be the last to wish you and yours a Happy New Year.” – Chris Berman (probably)
A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all! We’re back after holiday break and hope to be better than ever for 2017.
Before we get into Episode 50(!), as a reminder, The Bridge is now broadcast as a one hour radio show every Wednesday night on Sports Radio America, starting at 7 ET. Once the dust settles from that live broadcast, the show is released as a podcast on iTunes and this website on Friday night. You can listen to the live show every Wednesday on Sports Radio America here or through the TuneIn app.
- Sports News Read Like Real News told the tale of an Arkansas football player who tried to shoplift items from the Belk department store, even after the store provided the Arkansas team with gift cards to shop there for making it to the Belk Bowl (4:01).
- “Wait, Who?!” introduced us to the backup quarterback(s) of the Oakland Raiders who were tasked with beating the Houston Texans in the AFC Wildcard game (8:22).
- The Bridge Question of the Week is: Who is your favorite to win the Super Bowl and why? Call or text in your answer to 929-BRIDGE7, that’s 929-274-3437, and you’ll make it on the next show.
- This week’s guest was Mark Schofield, the co-founder and writer of Inside the Pylon who was kind enough to join us again after we lost the audio from our initial conversation last week (ugh). Mark is a former lawyer turned NFL and college football guru and offered some great insight on the National Championship game (he picked Clemson) and NFL Wild Card Weekend. He broke down last weekend’s games, what we can expect to see for the Divisional Round and some analysis for the players involved in those games.
- You can follow him on Twitter @MarkSchofield. The interview starts at the 14:53 mark.
– In the interview, we discuss:
How he went from studying law to studying football (16:10), what Inside the Pylon offers and what his responsibilities are (17:37), (19:47), if he’s a fan of a four-team playoff in college football (21:31), what could help generate more interest in bowl games as a whole (22:35), what Clemson was able to do to slay the best of Alabama in the National Championship game (25:30), what makes Deshaun Watson the No. 1 quarterback in this year’s draft class (28:16), if we should be more impressed with the Packers or more disappointed with the Giants (32:43), if the success of the Dallas Cowboys is from Dak, Zeke, the OL, or a great combination of all three (35:23), what the keys are in the Packers v. Cowboys playoff game (38:55), if this is the year Matt Ryan proves himself as a stud QB in the postseason (40:19), who wins the Steelers v. Chiefs game and why (41:55) and who will win Super Bowl 51 (45:53),
- The debut of a new segment “Good Try, Good Effort” recognized Mariah Carey’s New Year’s Eve performance, fired NFL coaches, PacMan Jones, Penn State, Wildcard Weekend and the host of The Bridge (48:55).
Call in or text the show 24/7 at 929-BRIDGE7, that’s (929) 274-3437. Contact the show with your questions, comments, stories or hot takes and you might be featured in the next installment of The Bridge.
Subscribe to The Bridge Sports Podcast on iTunes (please leave a positive rating and review if you enjoy the show) so you’ll immediately be notified when new episodes are posted each week. You can also find The Bridge Sports Podcast on Google Play, Soundcloud, Stitcher and TuneIn.
Visit www.lundinbridge.com/email to subscribe to The Bridge Sports Podcast newsletter, which will provide weekly updates and behind-the-scenes information about the next show and who the featured guest(s) might be.
Show music: ‘Actionable’ and ‘Epic,’ courtesy of www.bensound.com.